A magic estate in Champagne located in Bouzy, one of the only 17 villages classified "Grand Cru" (total 319 crus).
The first bottles were made in 1874 by Edmond BARNAUT.
Today the SECONDÉ family, his descendants, perpetuates the savoir faire which confers its reputation.
Our many plots of vines spread across the land of Bouzy give by their diversity eight different styles of Champagne and two still wines Coteaux Champenois : the famous Bouzy Rouge and the unique Rosé Clos BARNAUT.
Philippe Secondé - Owner & winemaker
On Monday, June 24, 2019, Champagne Barnaut succesfully received both High Environmental Value (HVE) and Sustainable Viticulture in Champagne (VDC) certifications!
Each one has its own requirements, but both evaluate our efforts to preserve our environment while maintaining both technical and qualitative efficiency.
The objectives which are considered as priorities are :
- The control of phytosanitary inputs and their potential effects on health and the environment.
- The preservation and promotion of terroir, of biodiversity and landscapes.
- The responsible management of water, drainage, by-products and waste.
- The energy and climate challenge.
We are judged on 124 elements concerning how we implement agronomics and perform ecologically as well as on our operation in its entirety, with required results.
Our environmental impact (air, climate, water, soil, biodiversity, landscapes etc.) of these practices is verified and considered to be reduced to a minimum.
The rating of our best practices includes the following topics:
- The respect of biodiversity, with undisturbed areas in which hedges, trees and fallows flourish, allowing wildlife, flora and insects to reinvest the natural environment.
- The methods of protection against disease for the vineyard and grapes, with a minimal allowance for the use of of pesticides and manures.
- Water management and soil maintenance, verification of good agricultural practices concerning planting of the vineyard, using alternatives to herbicides, the use of natural soil enhancers, and the conservation of soil life.
- The carbon footprint.
These certifications are reviewed every 18 months. Each time, a progress plan is established, requiring us to continually improve upon these actions.
My team and I are proud to participate in this quest toward greater respect for the environment, quality of our production and the preservation of Champagne Hillsides, Houses and Cellars, designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage site.
It is our duty to transmit this treasure built and entrusted by our ancestors to our children.
A sustainable viticulture with 2 environemental certifications HVE & VDC
Choice and application of plant health products the least impinging
on the environment,
Using biologic insecticides by sexual confusion instead of chemicals,
Nutrition of the vine with organic enrichment of the soil,
Preservation of the natural grass of the ground between the rows of vines and plowing under them, … etc.
A responsible vinification
Vinifying only the grapes of our own vineyards, with no outside grapes purchased.
Annealed stainless steel tanks for using only very little quantity of water for cleaning them.
Building a new underground cellar profiting the natural soil fresh temperature.
Production of photovoltaic energy with solar cellson the cellar roof giving more than consumption etc...
With our long experience we acquired a perfect control of the production of grapes and wines, and real expertise in export for 30 years in more than 20 countries.
And by our philosophy we are committed to a double environmental ertification : HVE (High Environmental Value) and VDC (Sustainable Viticulture in Champagne).
1 place André Collard
51150 Bouzy - France
Tel: +33 326 570 154